School leavers

3 September 2021|Finance| Off Comments off on School leavers|

Hank Jongen
General Manager
Services Australia

THE end of the school year is approaching, which can be both exciting and a little daunting if you have a child finishing year 12.

They may be starting to think about their options for 2022, and deciding whether they’ll go to university, TAFE or maybe even start an apprenticeship.

If they’ll be continuing full time study or training next year they may be able to get a payment from Services Australia.

Youth Allowance is payable to people between 16 and 24 years of age who have finished year 12 and are studying full time in an approved course, or doing a full time Australian apprenticeship.

Approved courses include traineeships, vocational education courses, and TAFE or university courses.

You can find information about approved courses for Youth Allowance on our website at by searching for ‘approved courses.’

We use income and assets tests to check if your child is able to get Youth Allowance, and how much they might get.

We also look at the income of the students’ parents and if the parents get any maintenance payments for the student when working out how much Youth Allowance can be paid.

There is also extra support available if your child has to move away from home to study.

These include:

Tertiary Access Payment is a $5000 payment for students from outer regional and remote areas moving for tertiary study straight after year 12.

Fares Allowance helps with travel costs if your child gets certain payments from us.

Relocation Scholarship helps with relocation costs to or from some areas if your child gets certain payments from us.

Rent Assistance is an additional payment if your child pays rent and gets certain payments from us.

ABSTUDY is for children who are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian and studying.

If your child is a full-time tertiary student or Australian apprentice they may also be eligible for:

ABSTUDY Living Allowance helps with living costs while studying or training.

ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance helps with the cost of starting or continuing study or training.

Additional Incidentals Allowance helps if your child is a tertiary, masters or doctorate student and has high essential course costs.

ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between home and study if your child needs to live away from home.

For more information, search for ‘ABSTUDY’ on our website.

While you’re there, have a look at our ‘Payment and Services Finder’ to check what payments your child may be eligible for.

Enjoy this story? Share it!

About the Author: Glenorchy Gazette

The Glenorchy Gazette is your monthly community newspaper, reaching over 24,000 homes and businesses in the Glenorchy municipality. It is the product of Nicolas Turner, Justine Brazil, Ben Hope, Simon Andrews, Tobias Hinds and guest contributors, with support from advertisers.

What’s new?

Go to Top